Sunday, January 27, 2013

In the meanwhile, Sandro Botticelli . . .



. . . was painting the "Primavera," which today hangs in the Uffizi.  The patronage and meaning of the painting are shrouded in mystery and speculation.  It most likely was commissioned by one of the Medici, perhaps Lorenzo himself, or by his cousin, Lorenzo di Pierfrancesco de Medici.  Whatever its origin and history, by 1499 it was included in an inventory of the possessions of Lorenzo di Pierfrancesco.

     There are many fascinating aspects to the painting, including that there are around 500 different plant species, of which 130 have been specifically named, according to Gloria Fossi, in her 1998 book.

     The painting has been in the Uffizi since 1919, except during WWII when it was removed to a castle about ten miles south of Florence, to protect it from war time bombing.

     The painting has darkened considerably just since I have been going to visit it.  In 2002, when I first saw it,  the colors were quite brilliant.  Sadly, these days I skip the Botticelli rooms altogether, as it breaks my heart to see how dark and dingy so many of the paintings have become.  According to my research, the last time this painting was restored was 1982.  Unfortunately, it needs to be done again.  The next time I am in the office of Amici deli Uffizi (to buy my museum pass), I will ask if there are any plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment