Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Clarice, lonely for Lorenzo, writes . . .




From Clarice de' Medici to her husband Lorenzo at Florence (from Lives of the early Medici as told in their letters):


"By the bearer we send you seventeen partridges which your falconers took to-day.  I should have been glad had you come to enjoy them with us;  we have expected you until the third hour (an hour before sunset) for the last three evenings.  I was astonished you did not come and fear something extra-orrdinary must have happened to keep you.  I beg that if it is so you will let me know, for surely it is in any case better  we should be together than one in France and the other in Lombardy.  I expect you at all events to-morrow and pray if it is possible that we should not await you in vain.  The children are well and so are all of the rest of the family.  I commend myself to you, and beg you to come and to bring Madonna Lucrezia."  Cafaggiuolo, August 20, 1476

No comments:

Post a Comment